It was nearly one o'clock when Sherlock Holmes returned from his excursion.
歇洛克·福爾摩斯回來時已快要一點了。
He held in his hand a sheet of blue paper, scrawled over with notes and figures.
他手中拿著一張藍紙,上面潦草地寫著一些筆記和數字。
"I have seen the will of the deceased wife," said he.
"我看到了那位已故的妻子的遺囑,"他說,
"To determine its exact meaning I have been obliged to work out the present prices of the investments with which it is concerned.
"為了確定它確切的意義,我不得不計算出遺囑中所列的那些投資有多大進項。
The total income, which at the time of the wife's death was little short of 1100 pounds,
其全部收入在那位女人去世的時候略少于一千一百英鎊,
is now, through the fall in agricultural prices, not more than 750 pounds.
現在,由于農產評價格下跌,至多不超過七百五十英鎊。
Each daughter can claim an income of 250 pounds, in case of marriage.
可是每個女兒一結婚就有權索取二百五十英鎊的收入。
It is evident, therefore, that if both girls had married, this beauty would have had a mere pittance,
因此,很明顯,假如兩個小姐都結了婚,這位'妙人兒'就會只剩下菲薄的收入,
while even one of them would cripple him to a very serious extent.
甚至即使一個結了婚也會弄得他很狼狽。
My morning's work has not been wasted,
我早上的工作沒有白費,
since it has proved that he has the very strongest motives for standing in the way of anything of the sort.
因為它證明了他有著最強烈的動機以防止這一類事情發(fā)生。
And now, Watson, this is too serious for dawdling,
華生,現在再不抓緊就太危險了,
especially as the old man is aware that we are interesting ourselves in his affairs;
特別是那老頭已經知道我們對他的事很感興趣;
so if you are ready, we shall call a cab and drive to Waterloo.
所以,如果你準備好了,我們就去雇一輛馬車,前往滑鐵盧車站。
I should be very much obliged if you would slip your revolver into your pocket.
假如你悄悄地把你的左輪手槍揣在口袋里,我將非常感激。
An Eley's No. 2 is an excellent argument with gentlemen who can twist steel pokers into knots.
對于能把鋼火鉗扭成結的先生,一把埃利二號是最能解決爭端的工具了。
That and a tooth-brush are, I think, all that we need."
我想這個東西連同一把牙刷就是我們的全部需要。"